The Congregation of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart (SHS), was founded at Adaikalapuram, in Thoothukudi Diocese of Tamil Nadu, by Fr. Francis Buisson S.J., a French Jesuit Missionary on June 19, 1885. The original purpose of founding this Congregation was to care for the destitute women, children and the handicapped persons in the Charity Institute at Adaikalapuram of Tiruchendur as well as in the vicinity. In the year 1925, Rt. Rev. Bishop Francis Tiburtius Roche SJ, Bishop of Thoothukudi, recognized it as the Diocesan Congregation for the purpose of Socio-pastoral and missionary activities in the mission areas of Thootukudi Diocese.
At present, there are 92 perpetually professed Sisters and 13 temporarily professed Sisters, and 7 under formation. Our Sisters are working in 58 villages in Southern Tamilnadu - mostly in the diocese of Thoothukudi and few in Salem, Palayamkottai, Madurai, Thrichy with in India and Chieti Vasto, Raggio Emilia Dioceses in Italy.